15 July 2008

Olympic Fever!

A few days back I was discussing with a co-worker my general apathy about my current life and future prospects. He asked me, "What do you get excited about?" And I honestly couldn't think of a single thing!

However, in the past few days I've realized that there is ONE thing that I get super excited about: the Olympics! Few things get my blood pumping and my brain agitated like good athletic competition. And the Olympics are, in my books, on the highest echelon of competition. It's a wonderful feeling rooting for US athletes, even though I've never even heard of most of them. And it's an even better feeling when those US athletes win.

But which events am I looking forward to most?
  1. Track and Field
  2. Gymnastics
  3. Swimming
  4. Basketball

And which am I looking forward to least?
  1. Table Tennis (As much as I like watching crazy asians wildly smacking a tiny ball that you can't even see, I'm embarrassed that Americans aren't even close to being competitive.)
  2. Rhythmic Gymnastics (This always felt like a cheap ripoff of REAL gymnastics, created by Eastern Europeans to ensure winning at least a few medals.)
  3. Biathlon (I know that this is only in the Winter Olympics, but I'd still like to take this opportunity to complain about the seeming uselessness of this sport. Skiing for a few miles and then shooting a target also seems like a cheap event created from two other, already-existing events: cross-country skiing and shooting. Why don't we also create an event called biathlon that consists of competitors swimming 3 miles and then getting out of the pool and playing a round of curling?)

While we're on the subject of the Olympics, can I just say how much I despise the "bird's nest"?
So it appears that my life will have purpose, at least for most of August, when I'll be watching the Olympics day in and out! Which events are you most looking forward to?

PS. Check out these links for some pretty interesting insight on the pollution problems hovering over the Olympic games.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=3481809
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3457413

5 comments:

Rachel said...

so first off, hi! and what about beach volleyball, are you not super excited about that? i know i am. and baba tanya would be quite displeased seeing your indifference, even disgust towards the biathlon. frankly speaking, i'm shocked about that, especially after she spoke in such glowing terms about this event more than once. on a side note, tonight i hung out with some friends for the first time since i've been back and i realized i miss hanging out with all you guys and trying to come up with something to do, even if it did involve kvas. man, moscow was good. sorry about the super long comment, i suppose i could have told you all this on facebook, but i was already here.

Unknown said...

hi jeff...are you coming back to ironton?!

Lemonzest said...

I'm thinking so! Matt's not sure if he wants to hire me back or not ;-) jk. I'm thinking I probably will.

Unknown said...

hi! as promised: daveosarah.blogspot.com

David said...

I would like to speak out in defense of the Bird's Nest. I was very impressed by the design... and I understand that it is a very strong structure. Some sort of geometric strength, passed down from the Greek god Pythagoras. Wait, that can't be right. He hated birds.